This was an enlightening exercise for me. At first, I followed Ashley’s steps using PSE 8.0 but quickly realized how uncomfortable I was with working with this program. I ended up returning to my comfort zone and used Lightroom 3 (LR3) to get to get to my final version. I could have achieved the same results using PSE but it would have taken me forever to do it because I’m so unfamiliar with PSE’s drop-down menus.
Here are the settings I used. They’re not identical to Ashley’s since my photo had a much lighter background than hers but I tried to change similar elements.
After putting the kids to bed, I decided to give Ashley’s advanced PSE instructions another go. It was easier to follow without the kids around but still slow-going because I’m still having a hard time finding my way around PSE. I used Ashley’s settings except for the Saturation and Brightness (mine was lower at .86) levels. I also added an Unsharp Mask to sharpen parts of my image.
Thanks Ashley for pushing me to try something that seemed so out of my comfort zone. I really like my revised edit. I’ve shown the SOOC image again for comparison.